Applying for a new student visa in New Zealand
The information on this page only applies to students submitting a student visa application in New Zealand. Please note that if your main purpose for coming to New Zealand is to study then Immigration New Zealand expects you to enter the country on a student visa (not a visitor visa), therefore you should apply for a student visa before leaving your home country.
When applying for your student visa in New Zealand, you have the option of applying through the International Student Information Centre, or directly through Immigration NZ. If you wish to apply to Immigration NZ, please see below section Applying through Immigration New Zealand.
Option 1: $250.00 – online application
Option 2: $277.00
Please note: an enrolment letter will be required for your application with INZ. To request an enrolment letter please email advisor for help.
Application checklist for all students
- Completed, signed and dated application form.
- New Zealand residential address which must be the same address you have registered on Student Services Online.
- Two passport-size photographs (less than six months old).
- Proof of New Zealand Institutes of Studies tuition fees payment. You can print your statement from Student Services Online – refer to the additional information on page four of the visa application form.
- Proof of Funds – please refer to the additional information on page three of the visa application form.
- Evidence of outward travel – please refer to additional information on page three of the visa application form.
- Your passport (ensure that you have blank pages and the passport does not have an expiry date of less than 3 months).
The following documents may also be required. It is your responsibility to contact Immigration New Zealand and find out whether you need to submit new certificates for the following:
- Medical certificates must be submitted every 36 months or when requested by Immigration New Zealand.
- Medical certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within three months of date of issue.
Chest x-ray certificate
- Chest x-ray certificates must be submitted every 36 months or when requested by Immigration New Zealand.
- Chest x-ray certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within three months of date of issue.
- A national police certificate from your home country must be submitted every 36 months. If your national police certificate is not in English, you must translate the certificate and submit both:
- o The original police certificate.
- o The original translation of the police certificate.
- Police certificates must be submitted to Immigration New Zealand within six months of date of issue.
- For information on how to apply for a police certificate, please visit the Immigration New Zealand website.
Immigration New Zealand contact details
Phone: (09) 914 4100
Freephone: 0508 558 855
Applying through Immigration New Zealand
Download the student visa application form from the Immigration New Zealand (INZ) webpage and send your completed application directly to Immigration New Zealand.
The application must include
- An application fee of NZ$250(online) or NZ$277(manual)
- Proof of your enrolment (you can obtain this at the International Student Information Centre)
- Full academic transcript (an unofficial academic transcript is acceptable).
A full checklist of required documents for Immigration New Zealand can be collected from the International Student Information Centre.