International Students

Our Commitment to The Code of Practice

New Zealand Institute of Studies (NZIoS) has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.  Copies of the Code are available on request from the institute or from the NZQA website

NZIoS 2023 Code of Practice Self-Review Executive Summary

At NZIOS we reviewed all sections of the code, and we continue to ensure alignment of our pastoral care delivery with the requirements of the current Code of Practice. As a tertiary training provider open to both domestic and international students, though with mostly international learners, we are confident we are meeting the intended impact of the required first four outcomes of the combined Code of Practice.
The first four outcomes of the code summarise the intended impacts:
1. A whole of organisation process to achieving learner wellbeing and safety goals.
2. Engaging students for contributing to learner concerns about safety, components of health and wellbeing.
3. Safe, inclusive, supportive learning spaces online and in person.
4. Initiating capabilities for staff and learners to experience a safe learning community.
We have completed the NZQA attestation, due 1 November 2023 stating that we have implemented the requirements of the Code.
Implementation improvements to note:
1. NZIoS developed and reviewed strategic goals for Pastoral Care with learner input and they are still valid.
2. Classroom visits and discussions during the last year returned no current deficiencies in learner wellbeing / safety practices for our learners.
3. The complaint process was revised and simplified on reflection from learner feedback. We noted there were no complaints during 2023 year to date.
4. Learner and graduate surveys have been updated to ensure there is appropriate formal feedback. Chat support functions are available through WeChat, which also has enquiry functions added to the NZIoS customer service channel.
5. MS Teams is now formatted with accessible learner hub resources.
6. MS Teams has new structured electronic reports for complaints, risks, and incidents.
7. Hotline and chat channels are established for fast notifications.
Student Information Hub is now available on MS Teams with information on such areas as the Code, Maori and the treaty, NZQA, Immigration, emergency services, lifeline, and mental health information.
NZIoS regularly discussed feedback and analysed it with the Management, Marketing, Student Services and Academic Teams, and improvements were discussed promptly and implemented.
All staff are actively engaged in supporting students and to monitor and ensure that students’ achieve academically, and that wellbeing and safety resources are available.
Our information support systems have been updated so that MS Teams is now a core tool as a database and for access to stakeholders and learners. Pastoral care matters are included in review meetings. Any issues are acted upon with ongoing improvements. The student handbook was updated over the last year and a new NZCEL programme handbook was updated for staff.


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Eligibility For Health Services

Most international learners are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you still may be liable for all other medical related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical And Travel Insurance

International learners must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance whilst studying in New Zealand.

Summary of the Code

The Code sets standards for educational providers to ensure that:

  • high professional standards are maintained
  • the recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
  • information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date
  • students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
  • contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner & the particular needs of international students are recognised
  • international students under the age of 18 are in safe accommodation
  • all providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances

When learners from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those learners are well informed, safe and properly cared for.  New Zealand educational providers have an important responsibility for international learners’ welfare.  The following provides an overview of the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 (the Code) and provides a procedure that students can follow if they have concerns about their treatment by a New Zealand educational provider or agent of a provider.

What Is The Code?

The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international learners.  The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international learners.  The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only and not to academic standards.

Who Does The Code Apply To?

The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international learners enrolled.  The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

What Is An “International Learner”?

An “international learner” is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.

How Can I Get A Copy Of The Code?

You can request a copy of the Code from New Zealand Institute of Studies (NZIoS) or it is available online from

How do I know if an education provider has signed the Code?

The New Zealand Ministry of Education maintains a register of all signatories to the Code. This is available online from If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code, you will not be granted a permit from the New Zealand Immigration Service and you will not be able to study at that institution.

What Do I Do If Something Goes Wrong?

If you have any concerns about your treatment by your education provider or by an agent of he provider, the first thing you must do is contact the chief pilot, the international learner director, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution.  The Code requires all institutions to have a fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.  If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedure, you can contact the NZQA.

Making a complaint to the NZQA

If your education provider has not resolved your complaint, and you still wish to have it resolved, then you can contact NZQA. NZQA is a government organization. They can provide an independent assessment of your complaint.

How Can I Contact The NZQA?

Download the Complaints form;

Send your completed complaints form along with supporting evidence to;

The Complaints Officer

Quality Assurance Division

P.O. Box 160

Wellington 6140


e-mail a scan of your completed form and supporting evidence to

If you need more information on the complaints process, contact NZQA on 0800 697 296

Code of Practice


Study in New Zealand

For more information on studying in New Zealand 

Education New Zealand

COVID-19 information for international students

Find details about the latest COVID-19 border announcements for international students wanting to travel to New Zealand, and information for students currently studying offshore

COVID19 Government 


Your country’s embassy

Foreign missions are your country’s embassy, high commission or consulate. You can contact your foreign mission if you need assistance while you’re in New Zealand or if you can’t afford to travel home. You can find contact details for your foreign representative in New Zealand on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade