Medical & Travel insurance

Medical & Travel insurance

Having medical and travel insurance is a legal requirement under the NZQA Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

For insurance purposes, an international student is:

  • Any student who does not have New Zealand citizenship
  • Any student who is not a resident of New Zealand (i.e. does not have a valid Residency Permit issued by New Zealand Immigration in their passport).

Immigration New Zealand requires you to have insurance that covers your entire stay in New Zealand until the date your visa expires. Your insurance cover must include the expiry date of your student visa, even after your enrolment at the NZIoS has ended.


NZIoS arranges your medical and travel insurance to help you with your transition to living in New Zealand. We use Orbit Protect Insurance programme, which has been specifically developed for international students by New Zealand’s largest health insurer.

The policy will cover you on your journey to and from New Zealand and for the time you spend in New Zealand. You may claim for baggage damage or loss, travel delay, loss of deposits, documents and money and many other incidents.